Monday, September 8, 2008

Quote of the Week

A new feature on Caged, to provide insight from the man himself. In true Freudian fashion, let's begin with his thoughts on his mother:

She would go away for years at a time. When she got too erratic, she went . . . away. My childhood consisted of going to see her, going in there with crazy people. She was institutionalized for years and went through shock treatments. 
She was a gentle, sensitive woman. If I look at home movies of when I was two years old, I see that she was a very caring mother the way she touched me. For lengths of time she was naturally 'out there,' naturally surreal, with all kinds of poetry flying out of her. It gave me an original perspective.
I used to have nightmares that my mother's head was attached to a cockroach's body, and she was living in the garage. That really freaked me out, so I was really horrified of bugs.
 Source: Robb, Brian J.  Nicolas Cage: Hollywood's Wild Talent.  London: Plexus, 1998.

1 comment:

Jules Zacher, Esq. said...

This Cage fellow should read some Kafka